Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Neko Harbor, Danco Island, Paradise Bay

Wake up call 5:00am. We set out on the Zodiac at 5:30am for Neko Harbor which was our firsts continent landing. Excitement reigned as we realized that we were standing on the Antarctic Continent. As was often the case, the best view from the island was high above the point from which we landed. Off we trudged up the mountain of snow and ice. Sometimes our steps would end in knees deep snow. Once arriving at our destination it is clear the climb was worth the gift of an amazing view. Every time were left the ship , we washed our boots in a solution that prevented particles from the ship, that might damage the environment of the Antarctic, to be transported. Some ships actually vacuum your person each time you went ashore. Breakfast at 8:00 was a welcome gift after our morning of activity. I had been developing a sore throat and it had become quite painful by now. After breakfast I went to my cabin to rest waiting for Brandon to call us for our next landing at Danco Island. I had asked HP for help in deciding what I needed to do next concerning this sore throat. Feeling it was time we should have been called I dressed and set out. When I got to the gang plank everyone had left and were on shore. I felt cheated that I had missed the landing and then I remembered that I had asked HP for guidance and returned to my cabin to sleep. After lunch, (Did I tell you food was AMAZING?) we cruised Paradise Bay, aptly named for the incredible icebergs and glaciers.




1 comment:

Debbie said...

Hi sue
This looks and sounds amazing. Still looking forward to seeing all the pictures.
LOve Debbie